Monday, August 3, 2009

Recovery

It seems so long ago that the Vermont 100 went on, even though it's been only two weeks gone! I still wonder "what if?" Could I have been able to struggle through? I feel so good now. But I guess I have come to the conclusion that I feel so good now because I stopped when I did. I did not push myself over the limit. And I really think that I am glad that I didn't.

I have gotten back in the saddle, so to speak. I have been doing some cross-training and getting some good rides in on my bike. What a powerful feeling to put the chain in the big ring and just fly! I have even gotten back out running and did a little run/hike with Joe on the trails in Virgil and had a really nice time. And I have gotten my mind back into racing and am looking forward to getting in some stronger runs.

Next on the list is the Green Lakes Endurance Runs 50K. I have never run this race before and so I am looking forward to it. It is a 4-loop course, which will give me ample access to my fuels and I can hopefully find a good combination that will keep me energized. At this time I am in first place in the Western NY Ultra Series standings for Open Women. This is somewhere I have never been before! A good finish at GLER will keep me there. Just a little something to keep me focused and going.

I have also changed my entry from the Iroquois 100 to the 50-miler. I still keep going over it in my head that I can do the 100; I have the training under my belt. And then I look at all the other things going on right now and I come back to reality and realize that I need to focus on so many other things right now and it would be totally selfish to focus my efforts on the 100. So I am looking forward to this being my 100 for next year. I think the timing will be right and the layoff will be good for my soul. I hope to get out to Virgil soon to tackle some of the trails that I have never been on which are part of the race course.

So for right now, it's time to enjoy what's left of the summer. Next up: Mountain Madness, which is Joe's race. This will be really cool this year because it is being staged out of our home, so it will be like hosting a big party with running in the middle! Our neighbors are also getting involved with helping, which is really cool to have some new faces out there.

Things are looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment