Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Getting there . . .

As much as I have been enjoying the xc skiing and snowshoeing this winter, I have to say that I think I have had just about enough. I think this may be because of a few sunny days that have lured me into thinking that it might actually be warm out, but then I step out the front door and realize . . . NOPE! So this week has been somewhat of a challenge in working with the weather and getting things done around work. I feel like I am doing a lot, but then I look at my weekly mileage and it’s a bit of a bummer. Right now I am just trying to keep my sights on the HAT Run 50K in March and am looking forward to getting ready for that. Joe and I have been working at marking out a course for a race up here on the mountain and in doing so I believe I have found a very doable route for long runs to prep for the HAT.

Some new discoveries for the week: 1 – I stepped on the scale, BIG shocker there. I think it was a good thing that I did this and now I am more conscious of some of the snacking and drinking in excess. 2 – Even more shocking . . . I have lost my taste for coffee. I have been having the obligatory one cup in the morning so my head doesn’t explode, but other than that, I really don’t want it. This too could be a good thing. Maybe if I can lower my daily caffeine intake I will be able to utilize caffeine better as a “boost” during the later hours in the ultras (i.e., maybe it will help me overcome my crying stages!). 3 – I am getting a taste back for fresh veggies. Just at the time of year when they are so plentiful! Hopefully this will stick with me and when the veggie season gets here I can really dig in!

So here is what this week has amounted to:

Monday 1/19: 5 miles from home to Mom’s and then work in the evening.
Tuesday 1/20: 0 miles but I did yoga for 1 hour. Yoga is a damn hard workout! I was tired from work last night and had to go in early today for a meeting before work, so I thought an easy hour of yoga would be good. Just when I think I am getting pretty good at it . . . I do it again and realize I am no pro!
Wednesday 1/21: 5 miles from home to Mom’s and then work in the evening.
Thursday 1/22: 7.5 miles with Joe. 24 degrees out – it felt like a heat-wave!
Friday 1/23: 7.7 miles. 43 degrees today! I actually had to shed clothes during the run.
Saturday 1/24: 0 miles. Watched the Hartshorne Memorial Masters Mile (indoor) at Cornell. Joe was running and I needed to make sure to get him to his race on time and without any stress. Joe ran an amazing 6:56 mile!
Sunday 1/25: 6.2 miles with Joe. 10 degrees and sunny but cold!

TOTAL MILEAGE: 31.4 miles. Somewhat disappointing but I know that I don’t want to do too much too early before the HAT Run and I know that it will get better when I start adding the mileage of long runs in. So, all in all, a good week.

Lottery entry for the Bull Run Run 50-Miler in April opened on Monday, Jan 26. I got home from work on Sunday night (technically Monday, since it was after midnight), hopped right on the computer and put my name in the lottery. At that time there were only four other people listed. Today there are 262. I have never run this race before but I have heard many good things about it and I am really hoping to get in. Lottery results will be posted on Feb 6. Keep your fingers crossed!

And Six Nations Rugby starts in Feb, so I will have a new distraction as I root for Ireland. My Irish Munster Team has been having a very bipolar performance in the Heineken Cup, which is totally frustrating. And then there’s Lance . . . he starts the Tour of California on Feb 14. Somehow I will have to squeeze my runs in between following all of this other stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Blog looks great Christine! Hang in there w/ the weather...I know it's tough...I almost got frostbitten the other day! I have had the same experience w/ coffee too... I think I might try and quit soon (after I run out of the good Costa Rican stuff of course!). We're running on Sunday morning if you would like to join us...just keep an eye out on the list serve or I can email you.

    ReplyDelete